It seems like there’s a national day for everything now, National Frozen Yogurt Day, National Caesar Salad Day, even National Ampersand Day (are we serious?), but today is a day I can actually get behind: National Love Your Pet Day. In our house, everyday is National Love Your Pet Day, but I will take any chance I can get to spoil Theo a little extra.
So, if you’re looking for some ideas for how you can show your pup a little extra love today or any day, you’re in the right place! Keep reading for 5 ways to show your dog you love them!
1. Protect their paws. Imagine if you walked around without shoes everyday. Your feet wouldn’t be in great shape would they? Well, the same is true for dogs. While they do make socks and shoes for dogs (right, who knew?!), the easiest way to protect your dog’s paws is with a paw balm. This can help keep your dog’s paws protected and moisturized year-round, but it is especially important in the harsh winter weather. Paw balm can help prevent and heal cracked or dry skin caused by the snowy, salty ground. Now, you can certainly buy a paw balm at various stores and online, but it’s just as easy, and a little more cost effective, to make it yourself. You will need 2 tablespoons of shea butter, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, 1/2 a teaspoon of Vitamin E oil, and 2 tablespoons of beeswax. All you need to do is create a water bath by filling a small pot about halfway with water. Then, place an open mason jar in the water bath on the stovetop. Place all the ingredients in the mason jar, and turn the heat on low. Slowly, melt all of the ingredients together, stirring to combine. When the mixture is melted and combined, pour it into a clean container and allow to harden. Tada! For the full recipe, check out this link: https://www.shtfpreparedness.com/diy-dog-paw-balm-soothing-recipe/?utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=pinmanager
2. Give them a massage. You thought massages were just for people? You were mistaken. Dogs can benefit from massages similarly to humans; relieving tension, loosening tight muscles, and relaxing the body and mind. Show your pup a little extra love today with a massage of his own! It’s simple, just start by rubbing their ears from the base outwards, applying gently pressure. Then, rub their head in a circular motion. Begin to move down the back, continuing this circular motion. Use a flat palm to apply gentle pressure in long strokes down their back, sides, and belly. Last, use your first 3 fingers to gently squeeze and pull each leg and gently massage each paw. End with some loving petting for your pampered pooch.
3. Give them lots of treats. If your house is anything like mine, lots of treats are a daily occurrence. So, to make today extra special, try making some homemade dog treats! Our three current favorites are shown below!
Honey Blueberry Frozen Yogurt Treats: You’ll need 1 container of plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons of honey, and 1/3 cup of blueberries. In a bowl, mix together the yogurt and honey. Then, gently fold in the blueberries. Spoon the mixture into an ice cube tray. Freeze for a few hours, or overnight.
4. Take a trip to the dog park. Cabin fever affects everyone, especially dogs. Dogs love to get outside and play, but winter weather often coops us up inside. Brave the weather, put on your coat and boots, and take your pup to the park. I promise they’ll love you for it. Your pooch will have time to run around, get their exercise, and meet new friends. What a better way to spend this day?
5. Endless snuggles. In my opinion, there’s no better way to show your dog you love them than with extra snuggles. Get nice and cozy in your pup’s favorite spot, and don’t forget lots of pets for your pooch! Perhaps you could even watch a movie together! I have a feeling this last one is going to be relaxing for both of you!
When it comes to showing our dogs love, dog mamas are experts every day, but it’s nice to have a special day designated to showing your pooch some extra appreciation for all the joy they bring to your life! If you try out any of these ideas, feel free to tag us on Instagram @happilyeverdogmomor send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, you may just be featured on our social media! Go out and use these ideas to spend an extra special day with your fur baby!